Saturday, May 21, 2011

Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Soup

My first experiment in the kitchen was a hearty potato soup. Prep for this soup took me a bit longer than the original recipe called for because I choose to use fresh ingredients. The original recipe called for 1 bag (32 oz) frozen southern-style diced hash brown potatoes, thawed and 1/2 cup frozen chopped onion (from 12-oz bag), thawed. 
Other changes to the original recipe I made included:  using bacon bits and Mexican fiesta blend cheese. I would recommend using real bacon pieces. I think it would add another level of flavor. I also would recommend using more cheese.  I did season the soup with a bit of pepper.

Overall, the soup was super easy to make and tasted delicious. I also had plenty of leftovers which I froze. I think the soup will taste great when reheated on a cold rainy night. The only negative I found the soup to be a bit runny. I wish it had been a bit thicker. I'm thinking if I used whole milk instead of fat-free it might had made a difference.

Prep Time:30 Min
Total Time: 6 Hr 45 Min
Makes: 6 servings (1 1/2 cups each)
INGREDIENTS
5 medium russet potatoes,diced
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 medium stalk celery, diced (1/2 cup)
1 carton (32-oz) reduced sodium chicken broth
1 cup water
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 bag (8 oz) shredded American-Cheddar cheese blend (2 cups)
1/4 cup real bacon pieces
4 medium green onions, sliced (1/4 cup)

DIRECTIONS
  • In 3- to 4-quart slow cooker, mix potatoes, onion, celery, broth and water.
  • Cover; cook on Low heat setting 6 to 8 hours.
  • In small bowl, mix flour into milk; stir into potato mixture. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook 20 to 30 minutes or until mixture thickens. Stir in cheese until melted. Garnish individual servings with bacon and green onions. Sprinkle with pepper if desired.
Original recipe taken from Pillsbury.com. slow-cooker-cheesy-potato-soup

No comments:

Post a Comment