Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Homemade Crispy Seasoned French Fries

 My third experiment in the kitchen- french fries. This did not go so well. I first reduced the recipe to only one serving which seemed fine. The batter looked good. I heated up the oil and started dipping one fry in at a time...but was taking way too long. I started adding two fries. This lead to oil spitting all of over my kitchen including myself. I reduced back to one fry, but the fries were not cooking as well as I would like. The batter was browning too fast and the potatoes didn't cook as fast.


Overall, I liked the batter recipe. I just need to improve my deep frying abilities. This time the kitchen has won, but next time I will conquer!

Ingredients for 1 serving
  • 5 ounces russet potatoes, peeled
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon onion salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 tablespoon water, or as needed
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil for frying
Directions 
  1. Slice potatoes into French fries, and place into cold water so they won't turn brown while you prepare the oil.
  2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. While the oil is heating, sift the flour, garlic salt, onion salt, (regular) salt, and paprika into a large bowl. Gradually stir in enough water so that the mixture can be drizzled from a spoon.
  3. Dip potato slices into the batter one at a time, and place in the hot oil so they are not touching at first. The fries must be placed into the skillet one at a time, or they will clump together. Fry until golden brown and crispy. Remove and drain on paper towels.
Fry Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment