Sunday, May 22, 2011

Hershey's Especially Dark Chocolate Cake


My second test in the kitchen was to satisfy my sweet tooth- chocolate cake with peanut butter filling and chocolate frosting. I baked the cake recipe off the Hershey's Dark Cocoa Powder can. I baked two 9 inch rectangle cakes.  I then decided I wanted to add a peanut butter filling. I found an amazing recipe. I then decided on a fudge frosting. It turned out to be like a giant peanut butter cup!


As you can see it is not the prettiest cake, but I think I should have let the cake cool longer before frosting. I got really excited and just wanted to finish it. At first I didn't think I had enough frosting for the entire cake but there was more than enough. It spreads very easily. This cake is very rich and a few bites will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth. 

Ingredients for cake

  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
  2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
  3.  Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.     
Peanut Butter Filling  

1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1/3 cup peanut butter, crunchy or smooth
2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp milk
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend together with an electric mixer until smooth. Add a little extra confectioners’ sugar if necessary (Some peanut butters are less thick than others).
Spread peanut butter filling on top of one of the layers then place the other layer on top.

Chocolate Fudge Frosting

1/3 cup butter or margarine
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
2-2/3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat; add cocoa, stirring constantly until smooth.(Mixture will be very thick.) Remove from heat; pour into medium bowl. Cool slightly.

Add powdered sugar alternately with milk and vanilla, beating to spreading consistency. About 2 cups frosting.


Orginal Cake recipe
Peanut Butter Filling Recipe
Frosting

No comments:

Post a Comment