Friday, June 3, 2011

Buffalo Meatloaf


My sixth experiment in the kitchen is a buffalo meatloaf. I have never cooked buffalo before, but I saw the meat at the grocery store today and said why not. I have been eating turkey burgers all week so I didn't want to make another burger so I decided on a meatloaf. This meatloaf is by far the best I have ever had! The seasonings were spot on and the meat was cooked perfectly. I was a bit concerned the diced tomato would make the meatloaf too chunky but it blended well with the meat. I am now in love with buffalo meat. It is so much better and better for you than ground beef.


I altered the original recipe just a bit. I didn't have dry mustard so I used yellow mustard. I also wanted a kick so I added 1/8 tsp of red pepper. I also used plain bread crumbs instead of using a crumbled slice of bread.

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup of bread crumbs
  • 1/2 pound ground buffalo meat
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1/2 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons canned diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 dash ground black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp red pepper 
  • 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons ketchup
  • 1 tsp of brown sugar
Directions
  1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish.
  2. Thoroughly mix ground buffalo meat, onion, egg, mustard, tomatoes, salt, pepper, red pepper and bread crumbs in a large bowl.
  3. Form the meat mixture into a loaf shape about 8x4 inches and place into the middle of the baking dish.
  4. Make glaze- stir together ketchup and brown sugar. Apply to the top of the meatloaf.
  5. Bake in preheated oven until meat is no longer pink and ketchup forms a glaze over the meatloaf, 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. 
Ellen's Buffalo Meatloaf recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment