Sunday, July 10, 2011

Potato and Sausage Quesadillas

 My next experiment in the kitchen was a twist on a quesadilla using a potato and sausage filling. I was surprised how good it tasted. Make sure you don't over fill the quesadilla or the filling may explode out of the sides. I made a few adjustments to the original recipe. I used hot sausage instead of chorizo just because I already had ground sausage on hand. I also left out the parsley simply because I didn't have any. I also used jalapeno cheese to kick up the heat a bit more. You could easily make a lot of variations on this recipe to better fit your liking.

Ingredients
1/2 lb ground sausage (used Jimmy Dean hot)
1 cup hot milk 
2/3 cup Betty Crocker® Potato Buds® mashed potatoes (dry)
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
cooking spray
10 flour tortillas (6 inch), warmed
10 slices of jalapeno cheese 


Directions
1. In 10-inch skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until brown; drain.
2. In medium bowl, thoroughly stir hot milk, dry potatoes, onion, melted butter, garlic and salt until consistency of stiff mashed potatoes. Stir in sausage.
3. Spray griddle with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Place 2 tablespoons filling on half of each tortilla; top filling with 1 slice cheese. Fold each tortilla over onto filling. Heat on griddle, turning once, until cheese is melted. Serve with your favorite salsa, if desired.
Betty Crocker Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment